Before approaching the technical part of this content, let me ask you something. Do you like watering your lawn on a daily basis? Honestly, I don’t. In fact, we all want it to be green and lively, but not all of us would like to water our lawn by hand with a garden hose. But as you are in 2018, there are pretty smarter alternatives. Amongst which, the best lawn sprinkler is the most popular one.
Hope all of our efforts will give you a hand finding the best deal of lawn sprinklers according to your requirements, price-quality ratio and expected features.
Best Lawn Sprinklers Comparison Table
|Dramm 15024||Stationary sprinkler||300-575 sq. ft.|
|Oscillating sprinkler||76-2300 sq. ft.|
|Melnor XT Turbo||Oscillating sprinkler||874-3900 sq. ft.|
|Dramm 15004||Oscillating sprinkler||3000 sq. ft.|
|Melnor Metal||Pulsating sprinkler||5600 sq. ft.|
|Irrigator Pro 525054||Rotary Sprinkler||20-80 ft. diameter|
|Nelson Raintrain||Traveling sprinkler||13500 sq. ft.|
|Orbit 58322||Traveling sprinkler||13500 sq. ft.|
|Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB||Pulsating sprinkler||23-50 ft. radius|
|Nelson Plastic||Pulsating sprinkler||85 ft. diameter|
Types of Lawn Sprinklers- Which One Do You Need?
As you have decided to put your time, money and energy to sow your lawn with the lawn sprinkler, it’s time to discuss lawn sprinkler basics. Number and type of sprinklers depend on the size of your yard. Also, other factors that decide the type of lawn sprinkler you would like to buy are- how much you can spend, how fussy you are and how hard the area to be watered is.
To have idea on the basics, lets examine some of the popular lawn sprinkler categories-
1. Stationary Lawn Sprinkler
Stationary sprinklers are dedicated to sowing small gardens or lawns. It’s held up in a fixed position so that it can cover the entire lawn within its range. A stationary sprinkler has several tiny holes in it through which water flows are released.
What you look for in a stationary sprinkler is the metal filter in the hose connector. This makes the hose joint more efficient than plastic filters.
Some must-to-know facts about Stationary Sprinklers-
- Stationary sprinklers are not expensive at all to buy.
- Lawn sprinkler for small size lawn or garden space.
- The pressure of the water is lower than any other type of sprinklers.
- The range of the area that is supposed to cover mainly depends on in the number, pattern, and sizes of the sprinkler holes. Holes are usually located at the head of the sprinkler.
- May cause puddling if it’s left in one place constantly.
When to choose a stationary sprinkler-
- If you have a small lawn(500-1500 sq. feet) or personal garden space.
- If you want no moving parts to break.
2. Oscillated Sprinkler
One of the most commonly used sprinklers around is oscillating sprinklers. What it does is-0 it sprays around a fan-shaped curtain and keeps rotating the sprayer at the same time. There is a metal arm provided that oscillates the sprayer back and forth. As a result, it can cover a wide rectangular space of the lawn which is about 20 feet x 30 feet or more in size.
What should you look for in an oscillating sprinkler is 15 jets of spray on the sprinkler head. More spray jets ensures more firm distribution of water across the garden.
Some must-to-know facts about Oscillated Sprinklers-
- lawn sprinkler for medium sized rectangular lawns, as the mechanism, is meant to sprat water in rectangular direction.
- The better price of oscillating sprinklers come with more fine tuning of water sprays.
- They have a good efficiency rate for both high and low-pressure water spray flow.
- You might face difficulty if you chose such an oscillating sprinkler for a rounded, curved or lawn of an irregular area.
When to choose a Oscillated Sprinkler-
- If you have a flat and medium range (1500-4000 sq. feet) lawn or personal garden space.
3. Pulsating Lawn Sprinklers
Pulsating lawn sprinklers had been a standard in lawn care for decades. They offer a circular coverage that spans up to an area of 70-90 feet in diameter. There are two major types of pulsating lawn sprinklers- rolling based and Spike based. Rolling based sprinklers are easy to relocate and spike-based sparklers come up with supreme stability.
As a pulsating sprinklers is a long-term investment on your lawn, you should look for as much durability as possible. We prefer a long-lasting brass and zinc sprinkler head along with a defense screw.
Some must-to-know facts about Pulsating Lawn Sprinklers-
- Lawn sprinkler for medium sized rectangular lawns, as the mechanism, is meant to spray water in rectangular direction.
- Showing systems are embedded for a flexible coverage.
- A metal filter is dedicated to making it clogging resistant.
- The price range swings within budget.
- Due to the mechanical processes, it’s not entirely noise-free.
When to choose a pulsating sprinkler –
- A quality pulsating sprinkler is capable of watering a large lawn area. Thus, you should go with it if you are up to sowing a lawn of 4000- 7000 sq. Feet.
4. Rotary-type Lawn Sprinklers
Rotary lawn sprinklers almost explain all of its functionality and uses. Like you have guessed, they are operated by rotating water streams across the garden area. But the basic difference between a rotary sprinkler and any other sprinklers is- It’s capable of watering both flat and curved surfaces of lawn with equal water distribution. An impact of the swinging arm is what makes the sprinkler head rotating 360 degrees.
Look for a perfectly working radius controlling screw in a rotary type best lawn sprinkler. As a benefit, you can precisely choose the range of the area you want to water at a time. Also, a gear-driven rotor is what you look for in a quality rotary sprinkler.
Some must-to-know facts about Rotary lawn Sprinklers-
- Are of two types- Pos-up and Shrub Style rotary sprinklers.
- Some arms are dedicated to spreading the water over the lawn.
- Gear-driven rotors are proved to work better.
- The price range varies.
When to choose a rotary sprinkler?
- 5000- 7000 sq. Feet of the lawn is what a rotary sprinkler is best fitted for.
- If you require more water pressure for watering your lawn.
5. Traveling Lawn Sprinklers
These sprinklers are unique and quite different from other four types. Like the name, the major difference shows up in its mobility. The entire sprinkle travel all inside the hose when you are watering the lawn. When you have an exceptionally large and open area to water, nothing but a traveling sprinkle is what you need.
A few things you need to know about traveling sprinklers-
- Starts watering from the desired starting point as per the user’s wish.
- A variety of speed control schemes.
- Quite noise free while operating.
- Easy to operate and setup.
- Too much expensive to purchase within a budget.
When to choose a traveling sprinkler–
- A traveling sprinkle is only designed to water extremely large lawns or even golf courses. Any range of area starting from 5000 sq. Feet can be watered saturatedly with a traveling lawn sprinklers.
Good Lawn Sprinklers Buyer’s Guide
Before getting into the buying guideline, here are a few questions you need to answer to understand your requirements-
- Do you need to have a sprinkler for any specific part of your garden or the entire lawn area?
- What’s the size of your garden Small, medium or large?
- Is your lawn a flat round or curved one?
- Is there any variation in the soil of your lawn, or all of the soils are of same watering requirements?
- Do you need any lawn irrigation?
As you get the answers in mind, look at the following buying factors and decided the best combination of features. For your information, for any combination, we hope you will find a pick from our top 10 lawn sprinkler list.
What do you need to know before you make your buying decision?
Types of Lawn Sprinkler
There is a wide variant in different types of garden sprinklers. In fact, the classification is not based upon only one criterion. They can be either depend on the garden size or the sprinkler functionality.
Based on the garden size, sprinklers are of 5 types- Stationary, Oscillating, Pulsating, Rotary or Travelling. Whatever the size of your garden is, any of these five types will do perfectly.
Based on the sprinkler functionality, they can be divided into two more classes. Such as- Spray sprinkler system and standing or spike sprinkler system. This variation helps you define the exact necessity of watering choices in the best lawn sprinkler.
Nature of Spraying Technique
Depending on the area of plant you are trying to water, there are many variations I the watering technique of a lawn sprinkler. Here are four of the major spraying options for common purpose of uses-
Micro Sprays: Produces fine and delicate sprays from a combined low-density poly pipe, micro risers, and micro tube. Micro sprays are mainly dedicated for smaller and higher lawns and gardens. They are quite inexpensive as well, if you look for a cheap one, by any chance.
Border Jet Sprays: They are the elder versions of micro spraying lawn sprinklers. Typically they’re made of brass and brass alloys. This orientation water spraying is not only oriented in a patterned way, but also provide a fine and uniform water distribution across the field.
Shrub Sprays: These are kind of all-rounder sprayers. With a spray radii of 1-5 meters, they also offer a variable arc of saying. The arc of the spray can be settled between 0 degrees to 36 degrees.
Pop-up Sprinklers: The last of the four types of sprayers. But considering it’s all rounding performance, this one had been one of the mist popular kinds of sprinklers. Usually, a pop-up sprinkler can pop-up only from 100mm of the ground. For the type of lawn full of flower and herbs, this one is a preferable one.
The Bottom Line of Lawn Sprinkler
We have finally reached the very bottom of our lawn sprinkler review and right here, take our heartiest applause for being with the entire content. If you have the plan in your mind to purchase the best lawn sprinkler, we have provided all you need. Whether you are the low/high budget, average or premium quality, you will find any of the ten models fit for your requirement. All you have to decide is, selecting the right set of sprinklers requirements.
Index of this Content
- Best Lawn Sprinklers Comparison Table
- Types of Lawn Sprinklers- Which One Do You Need?
- Top Lawn Sprinklers Reviews
- #01: Dramm 15024 ColorStorm 9-Pattern Turret Sprinkler Review
- #02: GARDENA ZoomMaxx Oscillating Sprinkler Review
- #03: Melnor XT Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler Review
- #04: Dramm 15004 ColorStorm Review
- #05: Melnor Metal Review
- #06: Irrigator Pro 525054 Whisper Quiet on Sled Base Review
- #07: Nelson Raintrain Traveling Sprinkler Review
- #08: Orbit 58322 Traveling Sprinkler Review
- #09: Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB Brass Impact Sprinkler Review
- #10: Nelson Plastic Pulsating Sprinkler Review
- Good Lawn Sprinklers Buyer’s Guide
- Types of Lawn Sprinkler
- Nature of Spraying Technique
- Editors Picks Lawn Sprinklers
- The Bottom Line of Lawn Sprinkler