Before approaching the technical part of this content, let me ask you something. Do you like watering your lawn on a daily basis? Honestly, I don’t. In fact, we all want it to be green and lively, but not all of us would like to water our lawn by hand with a garden hose.
But as you are in 2017, there are pretty smarter alternatives. Amongst which, the best lawn sprinkler is the most popular one.
To let you spend more time enjoying your lawn and less time watering it with a lawn sprinkler, we have worked hard reviewing the good lawn sprinklers of the market.
What we have done is, we did a week-long research and collected product specifications data and experts’ analysis and 50 of the popular lawn sprinklers. Afterward, depending on the real user’s feedback, we have sorted the list into top 10 picks.
Hope all of our efforts will give you a hand finding the best deal of lawn sprinklers according to your requirements, price-quality ratio and expected features.
Best Lawn Sprinklers Comparison Table
|Dramm 15024||Stationary sprinkler||300-575 sq. ft.|
|Oscillating sprinkler||76-2300 sq. ft.|
|Melnor XT Turbo||Oscillating sprinkler||874-3900 sq. ft.|
|Dramm 15004||Oscillating sprinkler||3000 sq. ft.|
|Melnor Metal||Pulsating sprinkler||5600 sq. ft.|
|Irrigator Pro 525054||Rotary Sprinkler||20-80 ft. diameter|
|Nelson Raintrain||Traveling sprinkler||13500 sq. ft.|
|Orbit 58322||Traveling sprinkler||13500 sq. ft.|
|Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB||Pulsating sprinkler||23-50 ft. radius|
|Nelson Plastic||Pulsating sprinkler||85 ft. diameter|
Lawn Sprinklers Video Reviews 2018
Types of Sprinkler Heads and Set- Which One Do You Need?
As you have decided to put your time, money and energy to show your lawn with the top lawn sprinkler, it’s time to discuss lawn sprinkler basics. Number and type of sprinkles depend on the size of your yard.
Also, other factors that decide the type of lawn sprinkler you would like to buy are- how much you can spend, how fussy you are and how hard the area to be watered is.
To have an idea on the basics, let’s examine some of the popular lawn sprinkler categories-
Stationary Lawn Sprinkler
Stationary sprinklers are dedicated to sowing small gardens or lawns. It’s held up in a fixed position so that it can cover the entire lawn within its range. A stationary sprinkler has several tiny holes in it through which water flows are released.
What you look for in a stationary sprinkler is the metal filter in the whose connector. This makes the hose joint more efficient than plastic filters.
Some must-to-know facts about Stationary Sprinklers-
- Stationary sprinklers are not expensive at all to buy.
- Top lawn sprinkler for small size lawn or garden space.
- The pressure of the water is lower than any other type f sprinklers.
- The range of the area that is supposed to cover mainly depends on in the number, pattern, and sizes of the sprinkler holes. Holes are usually located at the head of the sprinkler.
- May cause puddling if it’s left in one place constantly.
When to chose a stationary sprinkler-
- If you have a small lawn (500-1500 sq. feet) or personal garden space.
- If you want no lawn sprinkler system partsto break.
One of the most commonly used sprinklers around is oscillating sprinklers. What it does is-0 it sprays around a fan-shaped curtain and keeps rotating the sprayer at the same time. There is a metal arm provided that oscillates the sprayer back and forth. As a result, it can cover a wide rectangular space of the lawn which is about 20 feet x 30 feet or more in size.
What should you look for in an oscillating sprinkler is 15 jets of spray on the sprinkler head. More spray jets ensures more firm distribution of water across the garden.
Some must-to-know facts about Oscillated Sprinkler-
- lawn sprinkler for medium sized rectangular lawns, as the mechanism, is meant to spray water in rectangular direction.
- The better price of oscillating sprinklers come with a more fine tuning of water sprays.
- They have a good efficiency rate for both high and low-pressure water spray flow.
- You might face difficulty if you chose such an oscillating sprinkler for a rounded, curved or lawn of an irregular area.
When to chose a Oscillated Sprinkler-
- If you have a flat and medium range (1500-4000 sq. feet) lawn or personal garden space.
Pulsating Lawn Sprinklers
Pulsating lawn sprinklers had been a standard in lawn care for decades. They offer a circular coverage that spans up to an area of 70-90 feet in diameter. There are two major types of pulsating lawn sprinklers- rolling based and Spike based. Rolling based sprinklers re easy to relocate and spike based sparklers come up with supreme stability.
As a pulsating sprinkler is a long-term investment on your lawn, you should look for as much durability as possible. We prefer a long-lasting brass and zinc sprinkler head along with a defense screw.
Some must-to-know facts about Pulsating Lawn Sprinklers-
- Top lawn sprinkler for medium sized rectangular lawns, as the mechanism, is meant to sprat water in rectangular direction.
- Showing systems are embedded for a flexible coverage.
- A metal filter is dedicated to making it clogging resistant.
- The price range swings between $7 to $9.
- Due to the mechanical processes, it’s not entirely noise-free.
When to chose a Pulsating Lawn Sprinkler-
- A quality pulsating sprinkler is capable of watering a large lawn area. Thus, you should go with it if you are up to sowing a lawn of 4000- 7000 sp. Feet.
Rotary-type Lawn Sprinklers
Rotary lawn sprinklers almost explain all of its functionality and uses. Like you have guessed, they are operated by rotating water streams across the garden area. But the basic difference between a rotary sprinkler and any other sprinklers is- It’s capable of watering both flat and curved surfaces of lawn with equal water distribution. An impact of the swinging arm is what makes the sprinkler head rotating 360 degrees.
Look for a perfectly working radius controlling screw in a rotary type sprinkler. As a benefit, you can precisely choose the range of the area you want to water at a time. Also, a gear-driven rotor is what you look for in a quality rotary sprinkler.
Some must-to-know facts about Rotary-type Lawn Sprinklers-
- Are of two types- Pos-up andShrub Stylerotary sprinklers.
- Some arms are dedicated to spreading the water over the lawn.
- Gear-driven rotors are proved to work better.
- The price range varies between $15 to $25 in average.
When to chose Rotary-type Lawn Sprinklers-
- 5000- 7000 sp. Feet of the lawn is what a rotary sprinkler is best fitted for.
- If you require more water pressure for watering your lawn.
Traveling Lawn Sprinkles
These sprinkles are unique and quite different from other four types. Like the name, the major difference shows up in its mobility. The entire sprinkle travels all inside the hose when you are watering the lawn. When you have an exceptionally large and open area to water, nothing but a traveling sprinkle is what you need.
A few things you need to know about traveling sprinkles-
- Starts watering from the desired starting point as per the user’s wish.
- A variety of speed control schemes.
- Quite noise free while operating.
- Easy to operate and setup.
- Too much expensive to purchase within a budget.
When to chose a traveling sprinkler –
- A traveling sprinkle is only designed to water extremely large lawns or even golf courses. Any range of area starting from 5000 sp. Feet can be watered saturated with a traveling lawn sprinklers.
Top 10 Lawn Sprinkler Reviews 2018 medium sized garden
It not only wide variety in function but also has a wide number of color variety with a lifetime warranty manufacturer. It’s also the best above ground sprinkler that we found. These features are enough to be listed in our top 10 top lawn sprinkler list.
- 9 Water Pattern with Various Functions
This lawn sprinkler comes with a wide number of patterns. It has nine water patterns which are considered great for taking care of your lawn and garden. This nine water pattern allows multi-function.
- Coverage Areas
These nine water patterns include large circle, outer ring, small circle, half circle, rectangle, narrow rectangle, square coverage, half square and rounded square. This wide number of water pattern makes it one of the high-quality lawn sprinklers in the market.
- Durable and Heavy Duty Metal Base
This Dramm ColorStorm Lawn Sprinkler has a sturdy design and superb quality metal base. This metal base consists of a metal hook. This metal hook confirms easy storage facility and convenient display.
- Available in Six Colors
You can choose this sprinkler according to your choice. This sprinkler is available in six vibrant colors. So you can easily choose your favorite colored sprinklers from the market. Dramm stationary lawn sprinkler is available in red, orange, green, blue, yellow, blue and also in the berry color. Just follow the damn sprinkler instructions and it’s all easy to use.
- Durable metal base.
- Nine water supplying pattern with multi-functionality.
- Molded hook for display. Also storage.
- This lawn sprinkler is available in six colors.
- It comes with a life time warranty.
- Unnecessary moves while watering the large yard.
- This sprinkler can cause extra dust.
This a very typical scene that the sprinkler face- causing excess dust and unnecessary moves. These things can be easily negligible when you take a look at the advantages. The nine water patterns of this dramm turret sprinkler with multi-color availability is worth buying.
Not only that. The advancement of lawn sprinkler with remarkable nowadays. In this arena with turbo gear technology and large sled base, this sprinkler is reigning the market undoubtedly.
- Adjustable Controlling Feature
GARDENA Oscillating Sprinkler comes with a full controlling facility. It helps to control the width, length and also the water flow. The length can be adjustable from 10-60 feet, and the width is adjustable from 10-40 feet.
- Area of Coverage
This lawn sprinkler has a coverage of 76 sq. ft. – 2300 sq. ft. which can be great for your small yard uses. The gardena zoommaxx manual can help you more in this case.
- Uniform Water Distribution
16 rubber nozzle that comes with the lawn sprinkler has a capacity to distribute the water throughout the yard uniformly. The rubber nozzles are flexible. This allows you to water your surrounded yard more effectively.
- Turbo Gear and Sled Base
This sprinkler comes with a sealed turbo gear technology for the driven unit. This gear helps to boost the water flow through producing a minimal heat. You will also see a large sled base. This sled base ensures the stability.
- Easy to control.
- Best for small areas.
- Even water distribution with rubber nozzle.
- Sled base ensures stability.
- It comes with a turbo gear.
- Water might get sometimes leaked through the nozzle.
- The plastic body might not seem durable enough.
Though the lawn sprinkler may not be durable enough for its easy to hose connector and turbo gear makes this lawn sprinkler appealing to the customer. The 16 flexible rubber nozzles that help uniform water distribution makes it undeniably one of the best lawn sprinklers in the recent market.
This sprinkler has a unique clog-resistant design. Also, Melnor has a patented one-touch width adjustable features. These features make it one of the top lawn sprinklers among the competitive market.
- Advance Even Flow Control Technology& Wide Coverage
The Melnor Oscillating Sprinkler comes with a built-in flow control technology. This built-in technology not only helps to flow the water in narrow areas but also distributes the water evenly.
The lawn sprinkler has a maximum coverage of 874-3900 sq. ft. areas. This oscillating sprinkler is best for narrow areas.
- Multiple Rubber Nozzles
This sprinkler comes with 18 precision nozzles made of rubber. These rubber nozzles help you to control the width, length and the coverage of the water flow. Among the 18 reverse-trumpet nozzles six of them has a positive shutoff. Melnor oscillating sprinkler instructions will be an additional help to you.
- Clog Resistant Design with One-Touch Width Adjustable Patented Features
It has a clog resistant design which helps to both remove and resist clog while watering. It is considered one of the best water sprinklers for lawns among the market for its patented one-touch width adjustable feature.
- Turbo-Drive Motor for Longer Life
It has a turbo-drive motor which works in two stages. With the simple yellow control, you can control your sprinkler whereas turbo drive motor will enlarge your watering experience with its.
- It comes with built-in flow control technology.
- A quick adjustment with just one-touch.
- Rubber nozzles ensure more precision.
- Turbo motor enables longer life.
- It has a longtime warranty from the manufacturer.
- Might get trouble while setting up the sprinkler.
- It is maybe best for narrow areas but not for wide areas.
Finally, considering all the pros and cons, we can come to a decision that having the best coverage for the narrow areas and critical setting up, the quick adjustment technology and built-in flow control features make it one of the best sprinklers.
This sprinkler with a lifetime warranty and multi-availability in colors makes it be listed in our top 10 lawn sprinkler reviews.
- Heavy Duty Construction
The Dramm Oscillating Sprinkler has a durable body that lasts longer than a normal plastic body. To ensure longer durability, the manufacturers made the frame of the body with die cast. This model of an oscillating sprinkler is specially designed with steel control bars.
- Maximum Coverage
The lawn sprinkler can cover yards up to 3000 square feet or 66ft. x 48ft. This means it can cover a wider distance than other lawn sprinklers in the shop.
- Adjustable Rectangular Water Flow Pattern
This oscillating sprinkler has. An adjustable rectangular pattern of water flowing. But it is considered best for large rectangular spaces.
- Require Low Operating Pressure
It requires 30-90 PSI pressure to operate the lawn sprinkler varying to the area you want to cover. The low pressure helps to lower the heat produces when the machine runs.
- Nozzle Needled Brass Jet Holes
This special feature of this Dramm Oscillating Sprinkler helps to simply clean up your lawn sprinkler. There you will find heavy duty jet holes made of brass.
- Wide Variety of Colors
There is a wide variation commonly known as the rainbow variation in color. Because this lawn sprinkler is available in red, orange, blue, green, yellow and also in the berry color.
- Simple flow of water controlling knob.
- Easy coverage adjustment.
- You can clean the brass jets without facing any trouble.
- You can also clean the out pin with spray tube.
- The manufacturers ensure longer durability and efficiency.
- The oscillating feature might fail in long term use.
- The nozzles might get loose for the same reason too.
It is an obvious thing that long-term uses to lessen the efficiency of the machine. The Dramm Oscillating Sprinkler has the simple cleanup process, and wide coverage is going to surely win buyers heart.
- Rust Proof Design
Melnor Metal Pulsating Sprinkler comes with rust proof technology that gives the sprinkler a sturdy body and longer efficiency. The body is of non-corrosive material.
- Construction of the Base
The base construction of the Melnor pulsating sprinkler is heavily coated with durable steel. Also, the base of it is sealed with black enamel. Though hose coupling and other sprinkler apparatus are constructed with brass.
- Maximum Radius
This pulsating is best for using in the circular yard. This cover a maximum radius of 50 feet or 7850 sq. ft. So it can be considered undoubtedly the best traveling lawn sprinkler for covering a larger yard.
- Simple adjustment.
- Durable body.
- Weather friendly sprinkler.
- Limited time warranty.
- Stable base.
- This pulsating sprinkler doesn’t have e a reverse functionality.
In conclusion, it can be a best choice for those who want to water a large yard. So, reverse functionality is not a problem at all. Because it’s simple adjustment and rust proof technology with a strong base made this product one of the cheap lawn sprinkler models.
The special feature of this sprinkler is the tit has rotation tabs that are programmable that make it one of the best sprinklers in this competitive market.
- Diameter of the Spray Tube
This rotary sprinkler comes with a spray tube having a diameter varying from 20′ to 80′. This diameter helps to cover rectangular yards.
- Noise Free Operation
This is considered the unique feature of this lawn sprinkler. It helps if you when you have children or if you are working in commercial areas where noise is highly prohibited.
- • Special Features
Along with its noise free operation, it is made with rotation tabs which are programmable. Not only it’s programmable features, but also it comes with baffle deflector.
- Wide diameter range.
- Gear driven motor.
- Plastic but durable body.
- Quiet operation.
- The full range watering facility will disable to water at little distances.
Considering all the advantages and disadvantages, we can turn into a conclusion that this lawn sprinkler with silent operation and durable body makes it one of the perfect lawn sprinklers I the market.
To meet all these requirements, Nelson 1865 Raintrin Travelling Sprinkler is here with its long-lasting body and high-functioning features. Let’s take a short look why it is listed in our top 10 lawn sprinklers reviews. Here is the detailed nelson rain train review-
- Durable Body
This lawn sprinkler comes with a long-lasting body. The body is made of cast-iron. This allows the sprinkler to last longer. This cast-iron is painted with powder-coat. This cast-iron also has a chip-resistant capability.
- Traveling and Spraying Coverage
The Nelson traveling sprinkler can travel up to 200 feet. It covers a large area of 13500 sq. ft. Though it has traveling facility you can choose the high, low or neutral mood.
- Automatic Shutoff
This automatic shutoff feature prevents wasting of water. For this, a ramp will be set up. When the sprinkler arrives the ramp, it will by default shuts off.
- Longer traveling facility.
- Higher coverage.
- Durable body.
- Painted with powder coat.
- 3 – speed mood.
- The plastic wheel might cause a problem while traveling.
- Transmission may begin to slip after using continuously.
At last, this lawn sprinkler having some cons but it is of great use. This product having 3-speed mood and longer traveling capability makes this one of the cheap lawn sprinklers.
This makes this sprinkler to be listed I not top 10 lists of best water sprinklers for lawns.
- Body Construction
This Orbit 58322 Travelling Sprinkler comes with the durable body. Also, the orbit traveling sprinkler parts are made to be durable. Cast-iron ensures the durability, and it is also rust-proof. That’s why this rust preventing lasts longer than the ordinary.
- Area Coverage of Spraying
This traveling sprinkler covers up top 13500 sq. ft. Also, this spray reaches from a 15-55 diameter of range. This spray coverage is adjustable too.
- Travelling Distance
This lawn sprinkler can travel up to 200 feet with 3-position speed. These positions are high, low and neutral speed. Either it can travel at high speed when you want to cover a larger area within a short time, or it can travel slowly if you want even water distribution.
- Requires low pressure.
- Comes with a sturdy design.
- Travels a longer distance.
- Wide spraying capacity.
- Speed control mood enables even water distribution.
- Metal gears may get missing sometimes.
- Tractor sprinkle may cause a problem while moving.
From the above pros and cons, the cons can be easily being put out of the list. As the huge advantages of this traveling sprinklers cover them all. Also, orbit traveling sprinkler troubleshooting had been easy. Having wide spraying capacity and long distance traveling facility, this can be considered one of the best water sprinklers for lawns in recent time.
- Unique Brass and Stainless-Steel Structure
Most of the popular picks of best traveling lawn sprinkler are made of zinc, But Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB comes up with brass, and stainless steel made the body. This ensures continuous functionality after seasons to seasons.
- FP Trip for Separate Operations Methods
You may not need a full-time watering of your garden. Keeping that is mind, this sprinkle comes up with an FP trip which allows both short time or long operating.
- Easy Sprinkler System Installation
Such complex lawn sprinklers are usually hard to operate. In that sense, Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB has gone straight against the trend. It’s incredibly easy to operate, even for a 12-year-old. Rainbird impact sprinkler parts are also made to be extremely easy to install. It has a large rainbird impact sprinkler nozzle chart that might help with adjustability as well.
- Rigid structure and materials.
- Easy to operate.
- Grip proof bearing.
- Adjustable diameter distance.
- Uniform watering.
- Water savvy.
- This lawn sprinkler is slow in nature.
Though having a slowing working capacity, this lawn sprinkler is in users one of the favorite choices for its unique operational method. If you are willing to water your garden season to season, then this can be the best choice for yours
However, let’s take a short look at the highlighted features at a glance.
- Rigid Body Frame and Strong Basement
This pulsating sprinkler has a rigid body frame though made of plastic. The head of this sprinkler is capable of resisting impact.
- Spray Pattern
It has a circular spray pattern. So undoubtedly it is best for use in a circular yard or garden. It’s 85 feet diameter coverage is enough for watering medium sized garden or yards.
- Gripping Facility
Nelson Plastic Pulsating Sprinkler has a metal basement along with spike. This spike helps to grip the ground more easily and ensures durability.
- Ultra durable body.
- It can resist outside impact.
- Metal made a basement with spike ensures stability.
- Spike basement provides a strong grip.
- Affordable price.
- Only available in gray color, so you don’t have the option to choose according to your choice.
- It can cause little vibration when all mechanism starts.
Although this Nelson Plastic Pulsating Sprinkler has some limitation, the other features are arguably the best one for watering your garden. It impacts resisting capability, and spike basement make it be listed in our top ten.
Lawn Sprinklers Buyer’s Guide
Before getting into the buying guideline, here are a few questions you need to answer to understand your requirements-
- Do you need to have a sprinkler for any specific part of your garden or the entire lawn area?
- What’s the size of your garden Small, medium or large?
- Is your lawn a flat round or curved one?
- Is there any variation in the soil of your lawn, or all of the soils are of same watering requirements?
- Do you need any lawn irrigation?
As you get the answers in mind, look at the following buying factors and decided the best combination of features. For your information, for any combination, we hope you will find a pick from our top 10 best traveling lawn sprinkler list.
What do you need to know before you make your buying decision?
- Types of Lawn Sprinkler
There is a wide variant in different types of garden sprinklers. In fact, the classification is not based upon only one criterion. They can be either depend on the garden size or the sprinkler functionality.
Based on the garden size, sprinklers are of 5 types- Stationary, Oscillating, Pulsating, Rotary or Travelling. Whatever the size of your garden is, any of these five types will do perfectly.
Based on the sprinkler functionality, they can be divided into two more classes. Such as- Spray sprinkler system and standing or spike sprinkler system. This variation helps you define the exact necessity of watering choices in the best water sprinklers for lawns.
- Nature of Spraying Technique
Depending on the area of plant you are trying to water, there are many variations I the watering technique of a lawn sprinkler. Here are four of the major spraying options for common purpose of uses-
Micro Sprays- produces fine and delicate sprays from a combined low-density poly pipe, micro risers, and micro tube. Micro sprays are mainly dedicated for smaller and higher lawns and gardens. They are quite inexpensive as well, if you look for a cheap one, by any chance.
Border Jet Sprays- they are the elder versions of micro spraying lawn sprinklers. Typically they’re made of brass and brass alloys. This orientation water spraying is not only oriented in a patterned way, but also provide a fine and uniform water distribution across the field.
Shrub Sprays- are kind f all-rounder sprayers. With a spray radius of 1-5 meters, they also offer a variable arc of saying. The arc of the spray can be settled between 0 degrees to 36 degrees.
Pop-up Sprinklers- The last of the four types of sprayers. But considering it’s all rounding performance, this one had been one of the most popular kinds of sprinklers. Usually, a pop-up sprinkler can pop-up only from 100mm of the ground. For the type of lawn full of flower and herbs, this one is a preferable one.
The Bottom Line
We have finally reached the very bottom of our review and right here, take our heartiest applause for being with the entire content. If you have the plan in your mind to purchase the best lawn sprinklers, we have provided all you need. Whether you are the low/high budget, average /premium quality, you will find any of the ten models fit for your requirement. All you have to decide is, selecting the right set of sprinklers requirements.