Well, you have purchased a zero turn mower and got deliver in your home. Now what? Yes, you need to setup zero turn mowers to start your mowing right now.
As you know, calling up a technical may save the risks of damage or malfunctions. But if you within a budget, that would not be a smart way for multiple reasons. Firstly, it will cost some additional bucks. Besides, as you don’t want to get into the technical facts of your mower, you have to call the technical as many times as it troubles.
If you’re limited within a budget, assembling it by all yourself is the nest option for you.
Why It’s Called A “Zero Turn” Machine?
To many of the people who are using it for the first time, this is a pretty hard point of confusion. Therefore, have a look at the list of facts below-
- There are two drive wheels, and both of them turn independently on hydraulic motor power.
- At any particular time, any of the wheels can go forward, and the other can go reverse.
- The forward-reverse motion makes it look like that the machine is topping me one place. So its turning radius becomes zero. That’s why it’s called a zero turn machine.
In a nutshell, these are the reasons that represent the answer together. We hope it’s clear to you now.
How Does It Work?
Before we get into the step-by-step guide of zero turn mower setup, let us give you a brief idea on how it works. The technical knowledge will help you understand it’s functionally better. Also, you can setup it with much efficiency.
Most of the zero turn mowers come with two front wheels (front tires) and two large wheels (drive tires). In some models, there is a fifth tire also. Using the motion of the wheels, and the blades, it can cut the obstacles that are near to it. A 180-degree pivoting capacity leaves no uncut grass.
Turning and driving curves can be swiftly controlled by controlling the rotational speed of the tires. If one of the tires moves faster than other, it can turn into a curved track. On the other hand, equal speed and rotation to tires lead to straight mowing.
Step by Step Guide to Setup Zero Turn Mowers
To get into the details process, you need to remove the wires from the spark plug. Here are the complete techniques to assemble your Zero Turn Mower without a technician-
Step 01: Positioning Steering Control or Ground Speed Levers
In this very beginning step, you need to perform some particular assembling operation. It will basically prepare the ground of the entire setup process.
To place your steering in position without with ease, follow these few simple steps below-
- Remove the mounting hardware at the bottom.
- After removal, discard the manila tag.
- Loosen the mounting hardware at the upper side.
- The steering control or ground speed levels need to be moved to the upright position to operate the mower.
- Gently install the bolt, lock as well as a flat washer in the control lever base through the steering control levers.
- Repeat the process in the same exact way on the other side of the mower unit.
Step 02: Adjustment of Lever Alignment
Pivot the steering control or ground speed levers towards the center of the mower with care. You need to do this from a neutral position.
For any further tilted lever or pushed back lever, pivot the levers in either forward or backward way. As per the necessity, that can align with each other perfectly. After alignment, tighten the mounting bolts. Use soft hands while tightening the mounting bolts.
Step 03: Safety Switch Assembly
After you are done adjusting the lever, now it’s turn to assemble the safety switch.
- Pivot the steering control or ground speed levers to the neutral position. Then move forward to pivot the seat plate.
- Use necessary numbers of nylon flange nuts to mount the seat to the seat plate along with secure tightening.
- Continue pressing the seat switch wire harness end over the seat switch. When the latch of the seat switch wire harness ends snaps down on the lock of the seat switch, then stop pressing.
Step 04: Adjustment of Operator Seat
In step 4, the seat along with the steering control levers needs to be adjusted to support the elbows of the operator. This should take place at the same time when the hands are on the controls.
This adjustment also enables the steering control levers at the maximum range of motion. It makes movements without the necessity of any contact of the operator’s legs.
Step 05: Adjustment of Seat Position
The seat of the operator needs to be adjusted forward as well as backward. Move the adjustment lever towards the left-hand side of the mower. Then you can release the lever after sliding the seat to the desired position.
Keep in mind that perfect alignment of the driver seat affects a lot on the driver. If you have already hired professionals for the task, that’s fine to him. But if you try to do it yourself, there are chances that it can end up with a hazard.
So make sure the seat is set according to your height, driving skills, etc. Suggestion is to go for some test adjustment before you finally go for the actual one.
Step 06: Engage the Parking Brake
You need to pull the parking brake lever backward to engage the parking brake as it is essential to start the turn mower. Move the lever completely forward to disengage the parking brake.
Step 07: Installing the Battery
While installing the battery, please connect positive cable at the first place and the negative one at the last place. Make to do these in separate turns.
If you are not used to deal with batteries and electronics, we suggest you to wear eye protection glasses and safety gloves while handling the battery.
Step 08: Charging the Battery
While operating the mower for the very first time, properly check the battery date. The battery date of the machine will provide you the information whether you need to charge or not.
- Tip the operator seat forward to get access to the battery.
- Check the top of the battery to look for the battery date.
- If the battery service is put into operation before the battery date, then no charging is required for the battery.
- To charge the battery, carefully follow all the instructions and warnings provided by the manufacturing company.
- If charging is necessary, charge the battery until fully charged. But care should be taken not to charge at a higher rate of 10 amps.
- To avoid any explosion, keep any flames and sparks at the secured distance from the battery while charging.
Step 09: Preparing the Engine
The engine may be supplied by the company filled with oil. If so, check the oil level and add oil if necessary. Operation at the very beginning may result in causing alight amount of smoke. This smoke occurs due to the presence of paint or oil on or around the muffler.
Step 10: Checking Tire Pressure
Tire pressure should be checked and maintained periodically which may differ according to the manufacturing company. Following the provided information about the tires will help you to get an extended tire life.
Step 11: Injecting Fuels for the Engine
Type of gasoline or oil to use is instructed by the manufacturing company. Do not even try to smoke while adding gasoline to the engine. It is better and safer as well to use a secure gasoline container. When you need to add gasoline to the engine, turn the engine off and keep it for several minutes to cool down.
Step 12: Safe Handling with Proper Maintenance
- Don’t run the mower in an area having carbon monoxide fumes.
- Keep all the nuts, bolts and other blade attachments tight in good condition.
- Check out for their operating performance regularly along with brake operations and make necessary repairing.
- Maintain the machine to keep free from any sort of build up debris along with oil or fuel spillage.
- Do not attempt to make any adjustments or another repairing task while the engine is running.
- Mower blades are extremely sharp. So, be extra cautious while servicing them. Wear gloves for extra safety.
- Don’t try to remove the fuel filter when the engine is hot which may ignite the gasoline or fuel.
- Never attempt to repair any major parts by yourself if you don’t have any training or enough knowledge about the parts.
- Don’t try to change the general engine governor settings or over-speed the running engine. Operating the engine at an excessive speed increases the risk of injury.
- Check for Grass catcher components along with frequent discharge guard and make necessary replacements.
- When replacements or repairs are necessary to make, please use the only factory authorized replacements to avoid any unexpected problems.
Some Important Tips of Zero Turn Mowers Setup
Throughout the entire zero turn mowers setup process, and even you are done with the setup, you need to keep these tips in mind-
- After setup is completed, go for a test drive. Practice making curves, driving straight, turning around or backing up. Make sure the tires are not squealing.
- Most of the zero turn mowers are not prescribed to use in gardens where the ground slope is more than 10 degree.
- Avoid any obstacles and keep an eye on the track while you are operating the device.
- Keep a standard wraparound eye protection while operating the machine. It can often protect you from the debris thrown by a mower blade.
- Keep foam squeeze-in earplugs to keep yourself safe from sound pollution.
Want more specific help? No problem, just click the Contact Us menu and write us. We are waiting for your mail.